Sunday, October 10, 2010

POT Trail

I know what you are thinking and "NO" that is not this kind of POT. "Pot" can be translated "path" in Slovene. This trail is also known as the Path of Rememberance and Comradeship. In 1942 Slovenia was occupied by Italian forces during WW2. In order to keep there from being any resistence, the Italians put up a barbed wire fence around the entire city to keep everyone in (almost 33 kilometers). Thi




s was a thick line of wire, complete with watch-towers and bunkers so that anyone coming in or out was thoroughly searched. The Germans kept it up when they occupied Slovenia after the Italians, but in 1945 when the Liberation Army came, the fence began being dismantled. So that they wouldn't forget, they have left posts and a few buildings to remind them of that occupance. There are posts with the dates 1942-1945 written on them along the path, where there were bunkers of the occupying army. As we rode our bikes along this path I couldn't help but think, that in America we know political/religious freedom like no other. We have never been fenced into our own cities, we have never been occupied, we have never been fearful to own a Bible, and we really have never had to live in the fear of any of that happening. While taking those freedoms for granted, I realize we HAVE been bound in different areas though. Fears, addictions, thought processes can all hold us in spiritual bondage. As my eyes begin to open, I realize how big this world is that we live in and how important it is for people to understand freedom. Not just freedom in our lands which I know I have taken for granted, but more importantly freedom in Christ. The freedom that erases all those fears and breaks those bondages. The only access to that kind of freedom is in a personal relationship with Jesus Christ! I pray you know Him as Saviour and Bondage Breaker! May He tear down the barbed wire fences in all of our lives.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Debbie,
    This is Eva (Garcia). Susan and I are FB friends and she mentioned you and your new locale. Can I just say, you look great and I am in awe that you have 4 kids, wow! You do all that and move your family to a completely new place and culture. Wow. And I thought I had my hands full with twins.

    I started a blog about 6 months ago but have been terrible about keeping up new posts. I think yours has inspired me. I will check this every now and then and read all about your new adventures.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete