Sunday, May 24, 2009

Lima!







Well we have had 2 days to see this beautiful city. We have a wonderful new friend Cami who spent yesterday showing us around and translating for us. Today we tried it on our own and were fairly successful! We ate a meal, went to the grocery and hunted down gift wrapping for Alex's gifts. Easy to find gift wrapping you would think, but no....no Targets or Wal Marts or Halmark here. We finally found gift bags from a street vendor and tissue paper from a man with a Christian book store. That was after about 2 hours of walking and looking. A lot of the little stores were closed today, so had I been looking yesterday I probably could have saved my family some headache!



Even though it is heading into winter here, there are flowers and trees in full bloom. It doesn't feel cold to us, but people are wearing sweaters, scarves and boots. It is in the 60s! Oh well, we will continue to stand out in our tees and shorts. It is very humid...yes even more so that Alabama. Everything feels wet all the time as there is no air conditioning or heating. At least our get ready time is cut way down. There is no point trying to do anything with our hair!



The food here is great. So many fruits to try. There is a drink called Chi Cha made from purple corn, sugar, cloves and cinamon. It looks like red wine, but is non-alcoholic and tastes delicious. Drake and I LOVE it! (Keep your eyes open for purple corn at Mexican stores and I will bring home the recipe to make it!) Luke's favorite is Inca Cola of course. Unfortunately it is caffinated and tastes like it has a ton of sugar, so a little goes a long way with him and we have to cut him off. Luckily for Layne and I they have Coke Light which is Diet Coke and luckily for me th Peruvian coffee is so yummy!



All of us love the churros! They are like stick versions of funnel cakes. I know....too yummy! Those on top of the fresh bread and rolls that are around every corner, there will be no weight loss for me this trip. The only thing that will keep me from getting too big for my clothes is the amount of walking we do. Everything in Miraflores (the district we are staying in) is within walking distance...parks, sightseeing, the coast, shopping, and Lacomar (the huge mall built in the side of a cliff with American food).



We have just stuck to chicken (pollo) so far for our meals. Yes, they do serve Coy which is guinea pig, but I don't think we are going to brave that. Buddy (our guinea pig) was part of our family for 6 1/2 years. I just don't think I could do it. I would see his face with every bite! They sell it in the grocery, right next to the chicken and beef along with plenty of other stuff I am not sure what it is. Becca has stated she is not eating meat this entire trip, just in case.



Our new pets are the pigeons that land on our windowsill. We only had one occasionally until the kids discovered if they put crumbs out there, it attracted many more and they stuck around. I am sure the locals that live in the building just love us!



Our apartment is great and we are settling in just fine. We do already miss the conveniences of home. Our water heater here isn't much bigger than a standard propane tank in the States. It makes for very fast showers. To cook on the stove or oven, we have to turn the gas on and light the fire. Of course, we have to boil any water from the tap as well. Luckily they sell large bottles of water, it is just carrying them from the market that will get tiring! There is also no washers or dryers. You have to do laundry by hand or send it out. Guess which we will be doing. Yeah...no laundry for 5 weeks! I don't mind walking it around the corner for someone to do it for me!



I am grateful we get to "live" here for 5 weeks and experience this culture. I already see how spoiled we truly are. The people are beautiful and so natural. I hope you can get a glimpse though our pictures.

3 comments:

  1. I am eating up every word you type! Please keep posting! Praying for your trip to be an amazing work of God that you all marvel at, as well as those in Peru. Blessings! -Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey its Sienna,

    I am so glad to here you guys are doing good!! I was wondering what your skype name was so that I could add you to our skype!! Your newest member looks like she is fitting in perfect!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so great to read all that is going on. Peter is ready to give the newest trosper a "horsey ride." What an amazing journey. Can wait for most post and pictures. - Peter B.

    ReplyDelete